February 10, 2010

Keeping Buzzy


So this is my latest creation using Telamadera Fusion. It's a gift for my friend who celebrated a 40th birthday.....on January 27th. I don't need it pointed out that this is February 10th and that it will be February 17th by the time I have all the varnish layers done & ready to ship it out to her. I KNOW this. I was waiting for my muse to come and she did - around January 29th! I decided on a Queen Bee theme as my friend has taken up bee keeping and now has hives and makes her own honey - delicious stuff - have tried it myself. Perhaps this piece is a bit simple and sweet, but was made with her in mind. OK - that came out so wrong - my friend is not simple & sweet - quite the contrary - always keeping everyone on their toes with what she will do next - hosting her own 'funeral' for her fortieth & picking up friends in a hearse for a photo shoot & dinner is just an example of what she can pull out of her hat.
This piece was harder than the one I did in Alma's workshop.......because I didn't have Alma sitting there guiding me!! I tried to remember everything she taught me. It was challenging to take it one section at a time - I kept wanting to jump ahead. And then when it was time to pick out the fabric I started grabbing too many at a time & overwhelmed myself. So then I pulled it back. It all worked out. I'm particularly pleased with the way the stenciled background worked out. I used Alma's trick of using a piece of lace card stock paper as a stencil - a heck of a lot cheaper than an actual stencil.
Now I'm on to my first NON GIFT piece! Got all the wood burning done of the design and have painted it all today. Now the tricky part....fabric selection.....
I was recently at a gallery show this past Friday - chatting with a local artist. The person asked what I do - I tried to explain the process. The person paused and said - "Sounds simple." It was a bit of a slap, but I quickly came back with "Yeah, I suppose it is....except for creating a design, choosing the colors and choosing the fabrics." But of course the comment stayed in my head until the next morning when I finally had to dump it in my God box and let Him have it! I like what I'm doing. It feels good to me. I will continue.

No comments: