June 5, 2009

Positano Postcard
















Here is what I gave my mother for Mother's Day.  Last year she took me to Italy and we traveled down the Amalfi coast.  I still think it was a bit of a guilt trip - I just made a funny, aren't mothers always taking us on guilt trips? But what I mean is that SHE was feeling guilty because she helped pay for my brother to go to rehab a couple years ago and I think she felt she had to do something equally big.  I didn't argue and frankly I'd rather do Italy than rehab!
Here's the crazy thing. Just months prior to my mom inviting me on this trip I had watched the video A Good Woman with Helen Hunt (very good) and in the opening she is on a boat heading into Amalfi. It was so gorgeous and breathtakingly beautiful that I had to interrupt the video and take a moment to write down: "Place to visit - Amalfi, Italy."  You can imagine how far down my jaw dropped when my mother invited me to travel with her along the Amalfi coast.  
As it turns out it was a very odd trip - it would take a novel to detail all that happened - but the places I saw were among the most beautiful I've ever seen.  Especially Ravello - I think my heart is still up there on that marbled overlook.
So a year later - almost to the day - I decide a fabric interpretation of Positano would fit the bill for a good Mother's Day gift.  I used one of my photos as inspiration and basically fused fabric down where I wanted it and stitched over the top. Added some beads for some detail and texture to the church dome and viola - my memory of Positano. Enjoy!

No comments: