November 16, 2009

Monster Mash

This is my latest creation. I'd like to say this is exactly what I had in mind, but the truth is it is NOTHING like I envisioned - short of it being a monster.
I've been tossing around this idea of our inner demons - things that haunt us. We all have them. They lurk in the shadows. Sometimes they are front and present, being a real bother, talking smak to us. Other times we can keep them bound and quiet.
This guy is inspired by a friend whose demon told her she could do everything by herself - she didn't need anyone's help. That's why this guy is sticking out his tongue and holding rocks - "Go away! I don't need your help!" Trust me, if you don't go, rocks will be thrown - at your head. I am pleased with how he turned out although the end result is nothing like the beginning.
There I sat with my Sculpey in hand, pulling, tugging, shaping. Nothing was working. It was wrong. All wrong. After a couple of hours of getting where I deemed nowhere I was ready to smash the whole thing and start from scratch. It was in the smashing that the belly and bottom popped out. I stopped smashing and greeted my soon to be monster. After the belly and bottom came out the rest flowed rather easily.
I didn't mean for it to look so amphibian, but then perhaps that's just the way creativity goes sometimes. I originally wanted a blue demon, but because of his aquatic like appearance I choose green. I refer to him as the love child of Shrek and the Swamp Thing - if that's even possible. But loved he is. Very pleased with him. Now, what do I do with him.........

No comments: