December 20, 2008

Courage

I think the Arctic Blast that the weather man has been predicting for the last week has finally hit.  It has been non stop snowing today.  I am seriously losing my mind with cabin fever.  We had such big plans today - local production of The Nutcracker, lunch at Sushi Land and finish with The Tale of Despereaux.  My daughter and I have been looking forward to this day for weeks.  Well, we only got to do 1 out of 3 - Nutcracker got cancelled and by the time we got out of Despereaux the roads were getting too dodgy so we came straight home.  
And that is were I have been for the rest of the day.  The kids have bickered and honestly, my son has gotten on every nerve of mine - and given the circumstances, I have approximately 2 left - I was saving them for Christmas day.  
So it was back to my craft room to do something....anything. It was hard to focus - I felt really edgy and just not with it.  I pulled out the Kelly Rae book for inspiration and by the looks of my photo you can see I was seriously challenged this time around.  Not as pleased with this piece as I was with the woman.  But it is kind of neat to have a 3-D effect - the wings and heart actually pop off the board.  Those tissue paper wings were a real you-know-what to make.  My glue stuff I use kept tearing the bloody tissue - I was about to shove them up some ones bum, but calmed myself enough to finish the job.  
Again I used a quote by Mary Anne Radmacher - one of my favorites of hers:
courage does not always roar. sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "i will try again tomorrow".
You gotta love that saying. I think we've all been there in one way or another. Sometimes courage for me is just getting out of bed to face the day - which arrives after lengthy prayers for God to give it to me - please.  I think this week will be asking for the courage not to destroy my family before Christmas......
I know I should be taking this forced vacation as a gift from God - I was scheduled to work at clients all this coming week and if this snow continues there is no way I can get to them - they are all over - Gresham, Portland, Hillsboro - there's just no way. So I should be enjoying this time with my family, right? Should be enjoying this chance to create more - I sure have had the time to make some gifts for people.  These are all good things.  It just comes down to control and schedules - something I am a bit freakish about given how I grew up.  My sponsor would say this is a growth opportunity - a chance to work on letting go.  Yeah, yeah, blah, blah.  It all sounds so good in theory, but let's be honest - a few more snow days and I'll be climbing up the walls and swinging from the rafters. Now THAT could make for an interesting blog post!   

3 comments:

Dru said...

Hi sis. Just letting you know I checked this out.

I left a longer note, but it got deleted when it made me create a google account. Such BS. Anyway, I am not goinmg to type all that again...

Love ya,

Dru

Sea Mist and Sunsets said...

Enjoyed visiting your blog and seeing your fun projects. I understand the frustration with the timing on our weather challenges. So much to do, so little access. Thankfully the power is still on so I'm off to see what holiday things I can get accomplished at home. And work on how I'm going to get up the driveway for work tomorrow. Ah challenges, good for the soul.

Enjoy and thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment! I look forward to following your blog as well!!!!