December 31, 2008

Large Marge






















This is Large Marge. My first ever Sculpy creation I made a few years ago in an art exploration class I took with a friend.  This was to be a month long project, but meeting on once a week for a couple hours meant this became a 2 1/2 months long ordeal.  Despite all the time, money and effort she took I dearly love her.  
These are horrible photos that don't do her justice and you can't see some of her better details - the hair ruffled out, the cuteness of the pink slippers and you certainly can't see her pink knickers (not that she'd want you too - she's not THAT kind of girl).  Her right had is looks a bit awkward - she's got it out like she's suppose to be holding something - because when I created her that was my intention.  At first I thought I'd make her a bit of a tough ol' broad and have her holding a beer can and a cigarette, but that didn't feel right - that's not who I am anymore.  I thought about having her holding a birthday card (she's named after my great-aunt Marge who for the past 38 years of my life has sent me a birthday card EVERY year. Actually, she sends EVERYONE in the family a birthday card every year - can you imagine??). But I didn't go with the card. A gift?  Marge is giving me a gift? To this day I still don't know what Marge is suppose to be holding - if anything. 
 Maybe Marge is meant to be empty handed - ready to receive what life hands her.  Maybe it's a reminder to me to stand firmly planted (as surely as Marge is), arms outstretched and open handed - ready to receive.  So often I find it difficult to receive - anything. Gifts, compliments, opportunities, love, friendship, trials, challenges, I could increase the list ad infinitum. Perhaps this is a fitting way to begin a new year - with a reminder to stand wide open to the world.

P.S. Funny where writing will take you. I had no idea this is where I'd end up - with this revelation. I only meant to share a picture of Large Marge. My Higher Power sure has some tricky ways of getting through to me. 

No comments: